How Do Garage Fires Start and How to Prevent Them?
Fire is perhaps the most destructive element that can damage any home. And when your garage is set ablaze, it’s only a matter of minutes before it’s severely damaged.
Many factors can cause a fire in your garage, but there are common issues that homeowners should be aware of. Moreover, they should also be aware of how to prevent garage fires.
SERVPRO experts are highly knowledgeable about garage fire causes and prevention. We’ve been providing Dallas fire damage restoration for 35+ years. To learn more about how you can prevent garage fires, continue reading below.
What Causes Garage Fires?
Anything can cause a fire at any given moment. But for garages, specifically, there is one variable that is common: electrical malfunction.
Electrical malfunctions are the least leading causes of garage fires specifically. In fact, the US Fire Administration states that electrical malfunctions only account for about 6.8% of residential fires caused in 2019. But regardless of how common they are, they are still the number one cause for garage fires. Hence, you should be mindful of your electrical wiring and ensure that everything is up to code.
How Do You Prevent Garage Fires?
As mentioned above, electrical malfunctions are the leading cause of garage fires. So make sure there is no faulty wiring.
But besides inspecting your wiring, you should also:
- Store your flammable items (oil, gas, etc.) in a separate area, such as a shed
- Don’t store any items on top of electrical appliances in your garage. If you have a washer and dryer in your garage, don’t leave textiles on top of them
- Don’t plug too many appliances into a single outlet in your garage
- Clean your garage regularly, ensuring no dust remains lingering on its floors
- Install a heat alarm instead of a smoke alarm in your garage
In Need of Dallas Fire Damage Restoration? Call SERVPRO Today
If a garage fire occurred in your home, don’t hesitate at all in contacting the professionals at SERVPRO of Dallas Love. Call us at (214) 272-7600 or visit our contact page to learn more about our Dallas fire damage restoration.